Knox Presbyterian Church is one of the oldest churches in South Wentworth. In 1843 the early settlers of Binbrook Township formed together and established a congregation under the leadership of a faithful missioner Rev. George Cheyne. Shortly thereafter, the church was erected by volunteer aid, using lumber donated by John Stewart. James Flood gave the land for the church and cemetery.
During Knox’s first 50 years there were only two ministers. Rev. Cheyne ministered to Knox for 31 years, followed by Rev. William P. Walker who ministered to Knox for 25 years.
The congregations of Binbrook and Saltfleet formed a two point charge up until 1922, when Knox was united with Blackheath Church under Rev. A. Wilson. In 1925, Blackheath congregation became part of the United Church of Canada at which time Knox joined with St. Paul’s Presbyterian (Carluke, ON) as a single point pastoral charge, an arrangement which still exists today.
The 1950’s were formative years for Knox as the community expanded. In 1956 plans were undertaken to relocate the church to it’s present location. On June 3, 1962 the sod turning ceremony was held and on July 18, 1962, the one-storey building was moved to its present location in the village of Binbrook. Renovations added space both in front and back, with a full basement beneath, and was ready for the re-opening on December 2, 1962. The pews that had been in place since 1899 were moved to the new site and were still in use up until 2022.
Many of the families who worship at Knox today are descendants of those who were in the church over 150 years ago, going back four to six generations.